Saturday 24 July 2010

John Dixon "Moves On".

News that John Dixon has resigned as National Chair of Plaid Cymru comes as no surprise for those who have read his blog it the aftermath of the General election.

He was clearly unhappy with the way things are going, as he commented on his blog Borthls.

“But it isn't as simple as just the personal and it would be dishonest of me to pretend that it is; there are some significant political reasons as well. There are a number of ways in which I feel that the party has moved, or is moving, in a direction which I cannot support, but being a national office-holder has fettered my freedom to say so”.


I like many of those who comment on Welsh Politics, will be awaiting further clarification from him on this statement. Plaid needs an open debate so that it can clear the air before the Assembly Elections next year.This does not  necessarily mean a period of blood letting but the failures to make progress last May needs to be addressed.

In my opinion the Party concentrated on winning seats like Ynys Mon, and Aberconwy with what could be called right wing candidates and did not offer the electorate of wales an alternative to the right wing agenda of the three London parties.

Perhaps John Dixon will lead this debate?

I first met John during the Methyr Tydfil by-election in 1972 so his commitment to the Party has been long and dedicated. Unlike this blogger who distanced myself from the Party (practically the leadership) over the years.

I will accept the accusation that could be levelled against me on this that. What I’m doing via this Blog is having the luxury of opposition. The former British Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin when ccommenting on the press accused it of having:

“Power without responsibility -- the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages”.

Though I have absolutely  no power it can be used to describe those who never take charge but are content to boo from the sidelines content in the knowledge that they do not have to answer to the electorate. However we need dissent both inside and outside political Parties.

There will be concern within the Party that John Dixon's resignation may lead to a period of infighting. I hope no,t but I  do hope that it will lead to a strong debate on Plaids direction and future. There is a difference between a Power struggle based on egos (which may often  be the real reason) and a genuine difference of opinion.

It is said divided Parties do not win elections, but if New Labour and the Con-Lib coalition has shown us Parties that stifle dissent either by a strong leadership stamping out any opposition or by the tacit consent of the membership, are not worth the candle.

No comments: