Wednesday 16 September 2015

I'll never forget whatshisname.


The recently elected MP for Swansea East walked into a live television nightmare when she momentarily forgot the name of the man who runs the Welsh Government.

Carolyn Harris seemed to forget the name of First Minister Carwyn Jones when told the programme:

 “In Wales we have a very strong charismatic leader in, in"

 before stumbling and saying
“you know I can’t think of his name.”
Sharp End presenter and ITV Cymru Wales political reporter Owain Phillips stepped in to give Ms Harris a helping hand.
“Carwyn Jones,” he reminded her.
 As some one has a terrible memory for names and find myself meeting old acquaintances  and struggling to carry out a conversation whilst desperately trying to remember their names in sympathy with Ms Harris but to describe some one as a "characteristic leader" especially one who has been First Minister since December 1999 does seem to be a major clanger.

It reminds  ne of "Antigonish"  an 1899 poem by American poet Hughes Mearns.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

When I came home last night at three,
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn't see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door...

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today
Oh, how I wish he'd go away...
Unfortunately he's likely to still be there after May's Assembly Elections.

No comments: